Re: [css-counter-styles] case sensitivity of counter-style-name

On Thu, Mar 27, 2014 at 11:18:47AM -0700, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:

> > http://www.w3.org/TR/2011/REC-CSS2-20110607/syndata.html#characters says:
> > All CSS syntax is case-insensitive within the ASCII range (i.e., [a-z] and
> > [A-Z] are equivalent), except for parts that are not under the control of
> > CSS.
> >
> > According to this rule in CSS2.1, I believe all counter style names, instead
> > of only the predefineds, should be case-insensitive and ASCII lower-cased on
> > parse.
>
> No, all other names are author-defined, and thus case-sensitive.
>
> > Maybe there is no need to lower-case them. Just making all names
> > case-insensitive is sufficient.
>
> No, we *never* make author-defined names case-insensitive, because
> "case-insensitive" gets complicated once Unicode comes into play (and
> drags along "normalized" and other notions of equivalency).  To avoid
> all of that, we just mandate case-sensitivity, which means literal
> codepoint comparisons.

I don't understand this last paragraph.  In what way does honouring
the quoted sentence of syndata.html get complicated once Unicode comes
into play, and how does case-sensitivity avoid normalization issues of
whether decomposed and precomposed mean the same thing?

pjrm.