Re: [css-values] Concrete proposal for unit algebra in calc()

On Wed, 2014-04-23 at 16:56 -0700, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:

> * We'll allow unit powers other than 1/0/-1.
> * We'll drop the rule that makes parse-time-detectable zero-division
> invalid; instead, it'll trigger this infinity handling as well.

This was done for XSL-FO years ago - the most recent text is at:
http://www.w3.org/TR/2012/WD-xslfo20-20120117/#d2e7915

The document refers normatively (in section 5.11.5) to IEEE 754 and
explicitly includes positive and negative infinity, positive and
negative zero (sign) and NaN (not-a-number).

5.12 (lower in the same document) has the core functions we included,
although we already knew we needed to extend it before 2.0 went much
further - e.g. adding sin(), sqrt() etc; we'd agreed at one point to
allow the functions (and operators) in XPath 2 Functions and operators.

A minor advantage to using the same functions where possible is that
they've already been implemented, and also that at least one
implementation of XSl-FO also does CSS-based formatting. But I'm not
going to push harder than this.

Liam