Re: [css-text][css3-fonts][proposal] font-side-bearings: normal | trimmed

From: Koji Ishii <kojiishi@gluesoft.co.jp>
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2014 19:11:08 +0000
To: "mus@designtoday.co.uk" <mus@designtoday.co.uk>, "CSS WWW Style (www-style@w3.org)" <www-style@w3.org>
Requested to forward to www-style:

On Apr 21, 2014, at 12:50 AM, mus@designtoday.co.uk wrote:

Hi Koji

I tried emailing the w3c mailing list but it keeps throwing back errors. I
was wondering if you could forward this to the group? It was an idea i had
about Characters per line?

==

Hello everyone

I was wondering if their was anything in the CSS spec for dealing with
Characters Per Line. Currently I've made a couple of prototypes using
JavaScript but this can be a huge performance hit on pages with large
amounts of text. As CPL is a huge part of read-ability for text and the
fact we live in a responsive web world maintaining a legible character
line is almost impossible.

The general rule in typography is the CPL should be between 55-75
depending on the typeface family and its subsequent fonts. As each font
has a different character width this can make a huge difference. So the
idea would be something along the lines like

P {
cpl: 75;
}

The effect would be that the paragraph of text would never go beyond this
amount, dropping to a newline, thus maintaining readability. I thought
about perhaps a max-cpl or min-cpl but wanted to fire you guys an email
first to get a feel if this is something that would be reasonable.

Thanks for reading, apologies if this is the wrong place to suggest
something like this.

Mustafa
==