Re: Image orientation for backgrounds

On Tue, 2014-04-15 at 18:56 -0700, Rik Cabanier wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 15, 2014 at 3:05 PM, Liam R E Quin <liam@w3.org> wrote:

> > In any case there should probably be a way to override it.
[I hope we agree on this one, because of bad data]

>  And
> > presumably a way for JavaScript to determine that the image is being
> > displayed rotated (e.g. a computed rotate property?).
>

> Why?
> If a user really wanted to know, he could parse the EXIF data himself.

img @src - ignores Exif rotation
image() - applies Exif rotation in at least some user agents
hence, no reliable way to move an image from one to the other.

Yes, you can read the Exif yourself and try to parse it and hope you do
it the same as the browser but why should you have to when the browser
already did it, and one of the use cases given was to avoid the memory
and speed issues with reading the image in JavaScript?

I don't actually have strong feelings about accessing the
"this-image-is-rotated-because-of-exif-metadata: 270" computed property
but I have a gut reaction that hidden automatic magic is bad.