Re: [css-counter-styles] position keywords in list-style

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2014 15:51:11 -0700
To: Xidorn Quan <quanxunzhen@gmail.com>
Cc: "L. David Baron" <dbaron@dbaron.org>, Simon Sapin <simon.sapin@exyr.org>, www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
On Thu, Apr 3, 2014 at 3:58 PM, Xidorn Quan <quanxunzhen@gmail.com> wrote:
> So how can we keep the compatibility? It seems to be nearly impossible now
> if new keyword could be introduced.

So this still isn't resolved.  As currently written, between Counter
Styles and V&U, a <counter-style-name> is allowed to be "inside", but
then you can't specify it in 'list-style' due to the collision.

David suggests that we could allow it, if we adopt rules similar to
'animation', where the 'animation-name' is taken as the first
unrecognized keyword, or the last keyword if they're all recognized.
I and Xidorn both think this is probably harmful to spread further, as
it's hard to serialize correctly, and is somewhat hostile to future
expansion.

A third opinion comes from fantasai, which is that
<counter-style-name> is assumed to often show up in a 'list-style'
context, and so it should exclude the 'list-style' keywords as well at
all times.  This also has compat problems, as it means that any
keywords we introduce to any of list-style's longhands become
disallowed, which could damage existing content.  I think this also
shouldn't be used.

Thoughts?

~TJ