Re: [css-counter-styles] position keywords in list-style

On Wed, Apr 2, 2014 at 5:03 PM, Xidorn Quan <quanxunzhen@gmail.com> wrote:
> In addition, we have another problem that if there is a counter-style called
> 'inside' or 'outside' and it is directly assigned to 'list-style-type', what
> serialized value should be returned for 'list-style'? If we returned
> 'outside outside none', than it breaks our rules. Considering this, maybe we
> should completely exclude these two keywords from possible counter style
> names.

This problem, at least, has an answer.  Shorthands simply aren't
always serializable; when they're not, you return "" (empty string) as
their serialization.  This can happen if a longhand uses a complex
syntax that isn't accepted in the shorthand, or, as in the case you
bring up, it would be ambiguous.

We can't *generally* exclude all keywords from all shorthands of the
property, because that changes over time (we occasionally invent new
shorthands for existing properties).

On the other hand, in the call today dbaron pointed out that
animation/transition/list-style all have ambiguity issues that they
solve by just trying as hard as they can to parse - you're allowed to
name an animation "backwards", for instance.