From: James Clark [mailto:jjc@jclark.com]
Sent: Sunday, September 29, 2013 1:52 PM
To: Koji Ishii
Cc: www-style@w3.org; CJK discussion (public-i18n-cjk@w3.org)
Subject: Re: [css3-writing-modes] Summary of Tr in UTR#50 and 'text-orientation' discussions

I would not state John's point 3 as "CSS should prohibit implementation of Tr as defined in UTR#50".  Rather I would state it as: with a font subsystem based on OpenType and with a font providing the 'vert' feature, the best approach is to say that it is up to the the font to implement UTR#50 correctly and the shaper should not try to work around any deficiencies in the font.  I think this would be a reasonable position for CSS to adopt.

The other position that I think it would be reasonable for CSS to adopt is to require implementations to check whether an OpenType font contains appropriate glyphs for Tr characters using the algorithm I have proposed or something similar.

I believe the current spec is unsatisfactory in two ways.

a)  It does not adequately specify how a UA should do this checking: with the complexities of OpenType -- notably contextual lookups and multiple features -- it is not at all obvious how to do it.  Leaving this under-specified will create interoperability problems.

b) Given that my proposed algorithm is not expensive either in terms of implementation complexity or runtime performance, there is insufficient justification for making this checking optional.

James