Re: [css-gcpm][css-color] device-cmyk() interaction with RGB-space colors.

On 25/09/2013 9:23 PM, Chris Lilley wrote:
> Hello Tab,
>
> Wednesday, September 25, 2013, 12:25:28 AM, you wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Sep 24, 2013 at 3:14 PM, Rik Cabanier <cabanier@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> On Tue, Sep 24, 2013 at 2:58 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
>>>
>>> It is compatible. You can try it in PhotoShop :-)
>
> It is compatible because it is an additive colour space.
>
>> How does that work, though?  I mean, HSL doesn't work in a "just use
>> the channels" approach,
>
> HSL isn't an additive colour space; its syntactic sugar for RGB and
> thus you composite the RGB values.
>
>>   which is why the HSL blend modes are
>> non-separable.  Why would Lab work?
>
> Because Lab is an additive colourspace with orthogonal channels.

Can you point me to a display device that shows Lab or is this just
theoretical?

FYI, you can display segments of cyan and fuchsia (magenta) and convert
it to segments of white and blue so in theory, some subtractive color
can be manipulated to mimic parts of additive colorspace.

Alan

--
Alan Gresley
http://css-3d.org/