Re: [css-text] Clusters for letter spacing in Thai and other complex scripts

From: Koji Ishii <kojiishi@gluesoft.co.jp>
Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2013 00:23:30 -0400
To: Andrew Cunningham <lang.support@gmail.com>
CC: James Clark <jjc@jclark.com>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>

On Sep 27, 2013, at 10:55 AM, Andrew Cunningham <lang.support@gmail.com<mailto:lang.support@gmail.com>> wrote:

On 27 September 2013 11:05, James Clark <jjc@jclark.com<mailto:jjc@jclark.com>> wrote:

I tried to explain in my last message why I thought tailoring the definition of extended grapheme cluster was not the right approach, and suggested an alternative approach.  Let me try to put it more succinctly: the clusters of glyphs between which Thai/Lao letter-spacing inserts space are different from the clusters of glyph corresponding to extended grapheme clusters.  The spec for letter-spacing should allow for the fact that for some scripts the typographically correct points to insert letter space do not correspond to boundaries between extended grapheme clusters.

+1

Yeah, I understand what you want to explain. But practically speaking:

 1.  Use A, but implementers can tailor A in any way they need
 2.  Use anything, but use A as baseline

These two look the same thing to me. No?

/koji