Re: [css-page] Meaning of :first page selector (was: [css3-gcpm] Page groups, named pages, and :first)

On 9/25/13 12:46 PM, "Simon Sapin" <simon.sapin@exyr.org> wrote:

>http://www.w3.org/TR/2013/WD-css3-page-20130314/#first-pseudo
>
>Do you think we should change the meaning of :first in the Paged Media
>spec and introduce the "page group" concept?

Yes. :first is too useful, and too easily understood, to restrict to the
first page of a document. Håkon's use case from 2008
(http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2008Aug/0136.html) applies
to us: If we have two chapters:

    <h1>Loomings</h1>

    <h1>Epilogue</h1>

How do we use the chapter title for a running head on every page except
the first? A user of InDesign or Quark would create a chapter opening
master page. In XSL-FO, I think you can define a master for the first page
in a sequence. As CSS typesetters, it seems natural to write:

@page chapter:first { @top-center { content: normal; } }
@page chapter:left { @top-center { content: string(chapter-title) } }
etc.

So we just need a way to say "Use the :first page for the first page of
this group." prince-page-group: start; does this.

I would like to note that solutions that involve the content of margin
boxes (like first-except) don't meet all our use cases. A chapter-opening
page may have a background-image, different margins, etc.

Dave

This may contain confidential material. If you are not an intended recipient, please notify the sender, delete immediately, and understand that no disclosure or reliance on the information herein is permitted. Hachette Book Group may monitor email to and from our network.