Re: [css-ruby] Annotation pairing and annotation levels

On Tue, Sep 24, 2013 at 5:39 AM, Robin Berjon <robin@w3.org> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> in http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css-ruby/#annotation-pairing it is currently
> indicated that a ruby segment can contain one or more ruby annotation
> containers. Each ruby annotation container maps to a level of annotation,
> and there can be arbitrary numbers of those.
>
> In http://darobin.github.io/html-ruby/#dfn-ruby-segment, which I'm currently
> rephrasing and clarifying in order to ensure a clean mapping to CSS Ruby, I
> have a different processing model. The number of annotation levels is
> limited to two (on the grounds that, at least for 2-directional writing,
> there are only two sides to annotate on — but maybe I'm being culturally
> insensitive). Any ruby annotation container after the second one generates
> an empty anonymous ruby base container in front of it (and that process
> repeats if there are 5, etc.).
>
> I can easily change the algorithm to match CSS Ruby, and am inclined to do
> so, but I wanted to check first that this is intentional and desirable.

On the HTML side you can put in whatever restrictions you want.  It's
*intended* that Ruby only go up to two, but we have to handle N levels
in CSS, because you can assign 'display' values to whatever you want.
Note that multiple levels of annotation just stack higher (or lower).