Re: [css-text] Clusters for letter spacing in Thai and other complex scripts

On 09/21/2013 10:37 PM, James Clark wrote:
> The Editor's Draft for CSS Text says that letter-spacing is applied between adjacent "characters", where a "character" is
> defined as a UAX29 extended grapheme cluster. This doesn't do the right thing in Thai in the case of SARA AM (U+0E33).
>
> For example, to properly letter-space the word คำ (0E04 + 0E33), [...]

The spec does explicitly allow for tailoring; UAX29 is just a
baseline requirement. However I'm not sure that the tailoring
you're describing is quite in line with the kind that's allowed
by UAX29, so I've broadened the wording a bit and added your
example here:

   http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css-text/#grapheme-cluster

If you have a spec that I can point to normatively, I'm happy
to do that. :) But otherwise, I think the example will have
to suffice.

Please let me know
   1. If this is satisfactory, or you want something else.
   2. If it's ok for us to use your wording verbatim.

Thanks!

~fantasai