Re: [cssom-view] Correction and clarification for the coordinate systems of getClientRect/getBoundingClientRect

On Thu, 19 Sep 2013 06:53:05 +0200, Dirk Schulze <dschulze@adobe.com>
wrote:

>> On Sep 18, 2013, at 2:18 PM, "Simon Pieters" <simonp@opera.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, 25 Nov 2011 01:12:06 +0100, Robert O'Callahan
>> <robert@ocallahan.org> wrote:
>>
>>> [snip]
>>>
>>> The spec currently says to treat an SVG <foreignObject> as
>>> establishing a
>>> new viewport. Gecko does this, but Opera and Webkit don't.
>>> (getClientRects
>>> etc seems to not work inside foreignObject at all in IE9.) At least for
>>> the
>>> purposes of getClientRects/getBoundingClientRect, I think the spec
>>> should
>>> change to have <foreignObject> not establish a viewport. [snip]
>>

> Well, CSSOM-view can not just chAnge the specification for
> <foreignObject> and not make it establish a viewport anymore. I think it
> should and needs to be fixed in implementations. I was not aware that
> WebKit doesn't to be honest.

CSSOM View's definition of viewport doesn't affect the SVG spec's
definition of viewport or how <foreignObject> is defined to work. The
change only affects getClientRect et al in CSSOM View. Given that we're
discussing introducing new APIs to handle transformed shapes etc, I think
it's reasonable to aim for the shortest path to interop for these methods.

--
Simon Pieters
Opera Software