Re: css-shapes] Comments on CSS Shapes ED

On 9/16/13 1:00 AM, "Håkon Wium Lie" <howcome@opera.com> wrote:

> > >My preferred solution would be:
> > >
> > >      exclude-level: 0.5;
> > >      shape-margin: 0.2em; /* or something */
> >
> > You would probably also need to include some margin-top somewhere (as
>you
> > do in your specification)
>
>Yes, that would add one line:
>
>   .dropcap {
>      exclude-level: 0.5;
>      shape-margin: 0.2em;
>      margin-top: -0.2em;
>   }
>

>http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css-page-floats/#exclusions-based-on-rendered-cont
>ent
>
> > to make sure the content did not run through the
> > ascender area above the lower-case letters in this example. So you'd
> > probably still end up with some content-specific styling.
>
>Content-specific? The style sheet above can be applied any content in
>English, Greek, Russian -- any bicameral script. (Any other script,
>too, it just raises the cap(s) slightly)

How much you raise the drop cap would be content-specific. Some fonts have
a taller ascender area than others. And most drop cap uses align the cap
height with the top of the first line. Wrapping around rendered contours
doesn't work with standard drop cap placement and lowercase letters (which
was the point of picking that example).

>Are there any security implications of outlining the shape of glyphs
>from the content in the style sheet?

There may be, but I believe they would be co-incident with any security
implications present in the element() function. So if we use element() for
wrapping around rendered content we can solve the security implications as
we develop element().

>In any case, I request that the CSS WG ask authors -- including fora
>beyond www-style -- what kind of code they prefer to write.

It's not a question of picking one or the other. We should have both. And
we have a working group resolution to work on basic shapes first and
rendered contours later.

Thanks,

Alan