Re: [css-fonts-3] i18n-ISSUE-287: Figure 4 - combining diacritics

On 09/13/2013 06:23 AM, John Daggett wrote:

> John C Klensin wrote:
>
>> Suggestions, which I hope are consistent with "late date and the
>> informative nature...":
>
> I'm sorry but it's actually now *after* the end of LC period.  The
> spec needs to go forward.  Unless there's a really important reason to
> hold up the spec to more clearly explain background material that is
> crucial to explaining the features detailed in the spec, we need to
> stop enhancing the text of informative sections.
>
> The original example of diacritics is *not* an attempt to explain
> diacritics in detail but only serves to indicate that the mapping of
> characters to glyphs is not always a simple one-to-one mapping. I
> completely agree that handling diacritics and marks is a complicated
> subject but this is not the point at which to embark on adding a more
> comprehensive explanation of the handling of diacritics and marks
> across scripts.  The spec needs to move forward.
>
> I definitely agree with you that the spec would benefit from a richer
> explanation of these issues.  But not for this level, we should focus
> on improving the prose in the next level.

Examples are informative, and therefore can be edited in at any time.
You can make improvements to them without invalidating the resolution
to go to CR, and we can at some later point also update the CR in
place with better examples without returning it to LC. If you have
time before the CR publication (you have at least a week, given the
scheduling of the transition call), you can make your improvements
now; or if not, you can incorporate them into the ED later and request
a CR update at some point in the future. Certainly, it does not need
to wait for Level 4.

~fantasai