Re: [css-shapes] shape-image-threshold should be clearer about >= vs >

On Sep 12, 2013, at 8:17 AM, Alan Stearns <stearns@adobe.com> wrote:

> For a shape-outside URL that points to an SVG image, It would be the
> rendering that determines the shape.

That seems very odd. The SVG defines a shape path and you are defining a thicker path shape. I'd prefer you to honor the real shape defined by the path by default.

>> For a fuzzier edge image (say, a picture of a smoke puff), I would most
>> likely want my wrapping text to overlap some of the more translucent
>> pixels, not being so far away that the wrapping area isn't even
>> recognizable as being the same general shape. For shape-inside, I'd want
>> a usable amount of space for the text. A 0.5 default would be much more
>> likely to be useful in both cases.
>
> I disagree - I think that content should by default avoid any rendered
> pixels of the image.

I don't know why you would think that. Do you examples of that (perhaps from print), where the text is wrapping but refuses to overlap pixels (or halftone dots) of even a few percent of a blurry-edged shape? It seems like a rather extreme approach that would be the exception more than the rule.