Re: [css-shapes] Comments on CSS Shapes Module Level 1, 10 Sept Editors Draft

On 9/12/13 10:37 AM, "Stephen Zilles" <szilles@adobe.com> wrote:

>The following comments are on the 10 September Editor¹s draft

Thanks for the review.

>1.
>Renaming suggestion: Because Floats have traditionally had an area that
>corresponds to the outer (margin) box of the float and this specification
>changes that. I feel strongly that it would be better to talk about the
>³float exclusion
> area² rather than the ³float area² because the latter term is ambiguous
>and easily confused with the area of the float box.

The term 'float area' is *meant* to correspond to the margin box of the
float, when shape-outside has its initial 'auto' value. I don't want to
add 'exclusion' to the term because I want to emphasize that 'float area'
only applies to floats and not exclusions.

>2.
>In Definitions, beside the definition of float (exclusion) area, there
>should be a definition of what it means to ³wrap² text. There are two
>aspects to this: (a) which side(s) of the exclusion shape are wrapped and
>(b) how close to the
> exclusion shape should start (or end) edge of a line of text be place.
>That is, should it be the line start (end) should be positioned so that
>one point on the line touches the outside of the shape and no part of the
>line box is inside the shape?

I've added a 'wrap' definition, which points out that when line boxes are
shortened, the entire line box must not intersect the float area:

---
This specification uses the term 'wrap'
to refer to flowing content around the
sides of a float area. Content wraps
around the right side of a left-floated
box, and content wraps around the left
side of a right-floated box. Line boxes
next to a float are shortened as necessary
to avoid intersections with the float area.

---

>3.
>It would be useful to have an example which shows that text does not wrap
>around (on both sides of) an float exclusion shape, but only goes to the
>right of the shape in left floats and the left of the shape in right
>floats.

I agree. I've added an example for this.

>4.
>Example 3,
>This example would be clearer to me if it began: "Since only the area of
>the shape is excluded, a shape...²

It made sense to me to add this to the beginning of the second sentence.
The example now reads:

---
A shape with no extent will create a float area with no extent. Because
wrapping only considers the float area, the shape below applied to a left
float will allow inline content to flow through all of the float's box.
---

>5.
>In Example 4, replace "content area" with "float box content area that is
>outside the shape" Similarly, "margin area" should be "margin area of the
>float box".
>Replace the last sentence with, "The inline content affected by the float
>is only excluded from the area occupied by shape (wraps up to the shape)
>and otherwise overlays the rest of the float margin box."

Done.

>6.
>In the paragraph introducing the second case in Example 4, It would be
>useful to point out that float collision avoidance  is still based on the
>margin boxes of the two "colliding" floats and not their float exclusion
>areas.

Done.

>7.
>In the specification for ³inset-rectangle² the term ³inset² is unclear.
>In CSS 2.1, 'top', 'right', 'bottom', 'left' are referred to as ³box
>offsets² Replace the first sentence of the first bullet with, ³The first
>four values represent
> the top, right, bottom and left offsets from the content rectangle
>inward that define the positions of edges of the inset rectangle
>(Similarly, the term ³bounding rectangle² should be replaced in the
>specification for ³rectangle².)

Done.

>8.
>In Figure 1 in Shapes from Images, ³shape-margin² has not yet been
>defined and seems to add nothing important to this example so it should
>not be used here. The figure as is could be used in the Shape Margin
>section.

I agree. I've removed shape-margin from that example, then added a new
example in the shape-margin section showing the effect of adding
shape-margin to the earlier example.

>9.
>The definition of the shape defined by applying the "shape-margin"
>property needs to be refined. For example the shape is the smallest
>contour (in the shrink-wrap sense) that includes all the points that are
>the shape-margin distance
> outward in the perpendicular direction from a point on the underlying
>shape. Note that at points where a perpendicular is not defined (e.g.
>sharp points) take all points on the circle centered at the point and
>with a radius of shape-margin.

I have added in your definition, and asked Hans whether he agrees it fits
what he's implemented. I believe we could also describe the new shape by
taking that circle with a radius of shape-margin and moving that circle's
center along the old shape's path.

>10.
>Since the default value of the ³shape-margin² property is zero, this
>should say, "This property takes only non-negative values."

Done.

Thanks again,

Alan