Re: [cssom][css-display][css-cascade] revisiting "default display"

On Fri, 06 Sep 2013 11:36:23 +0200, Mike Sherov <mike.sherov@gmail.com>
wrote:

> At risk of beating a dead horse, allow me to describe two use cases, and
> how CSS Display Level 3 (and CSSOM and CSS Cascading) attempts to address
> each one:
>
> 1. A javascript library wants to be able to "hide" (set display:none) a
> "non-hidden" (has a display other than none) element and then "show"
> (return to the display value before setting it to none) it.  This is the
> main use case covered by Display Module Level 3. By providing a separate
> "box" property, a javascript library can set that property to "none" to
> perform a "hide", and then set that property to "normal" to perform a
> "show". No loss of information about whether the element was inline or
> block. Great!
>
> 2. A bit more insidiously, a javascript library wants to "show" a div
> that
> is already "hidden" through an element selector in the author style
> sheet:
> div {display:none;}. Can Display Level 3 address this? The current spec
> says:

The author style sheet could use box:none instead of display:none. But
maybe that doesn't help you if you're writing a library and can't
influence what the author puts in the style sheet?

--
Simon Pieters
Opera Software