Re: [css-regions] Floats overflow in named flows

On 10/31/13 11:58 AM, "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Tue, Oct 29, 2013 at 3:47 AM, Radu STAVILA <stavila@adobe.com> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Consider the following layout: two regions and a div flowed into them.
>>The
>> div has no content except for a float, which is large enough to not fit
>> inside the first region. Since the div's size is not altered by it's
>> floating child, the div fits perfectly inside the first region. Now, the
>> problem is: since the float's parent is only flowed inside the first
>> region, what should happen to the portion of the float that does not fit
>> the first region? Should it be fragmented into the second region or
>>should
>> it respect it's parent's region range and overflow the first region?
>
>It should fragment, I would think, same as it would if a div overflowed a
>page.

I think that's the case in a paginated situation (that's covered in 5.4
that says that separation and transfer of page boxes happen last [1]). But
I'm not sure it's the right result in a multicol or region case. The
float's parent has no other content, so the only break positions might be
before or after the float. This could be a situation where the user agent
is allowed to have content overflow the fragment container [2].

I think the answer to this question should be the same as the answer to
the question Radu raised earlier on fragmenting overflow in general [3].
As I mentioned in that thread, the current multicol fragmenting and
balancing of overflow doesn't make much sense to me, and I don't see where
it's defined.

Thanks,

Alan

[1] http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css-break/#transforms