Re: [css-flexbox] "Determine the flex container’s used cross size" step needs to take min/max size into account

On 10/29/2013 05:15 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 29, 2013 at 3:43 PM, Daniel Holbert <dholbert@mozilla.com> wrote:
>> Right now, the Flexbox ED has the following:
>>   #  15. Determine the flex container’s used cross size:
>>   #   * If the cross size property is a definite size, use that.
>>   #   * Otherwise, use the sum of the flex lines' cross sizes.
>>
>> I'm pretty sure that last bullet-point needs to have something like this
>> appended:
>> ", clamped to the flex container's cross-axis min-size / max-size
>> properties"
>>
>> Without that change, I'm pretty sure this section is implicitly saying
>> to disregard "min-height" & "max-height" on auto-height horizontal flex
>> containers. (which seems undesirable)
>
> Are you assuming that the first bullet point is implicitly covered by
> the way that width/max-width/min-width are defined?  Or should I make
> this correction apply to both clauses?

Ah, good question. I guess that depends on whether the "definite size"
already incorporates min/max sizing constraints.

Right now, it seems to me that the spec's definition for "definite size"
does *not* incorporate those constraints, -- it just talks about a
single quantity (a <length>, <percentage>, etc.)[1]

So, I think you probably do want to make the correction apply to both
clauses.

Thanks,
~Daniel

[1] http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css-flexbox/#definitedefinite-size