Re: [css-shapes] how to position <basic-shape>s

On 10/22/2013 12:46 PM, Sylvain Galineau wrote:

> On 10/21/13 11:15 PM, "fantasai" <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net> wrote:
>>
>> Secondly, I am dubious as it is about consistency with SVG being
>> of utility here, especially if it's not supported by use cases.
>> But choosing consistency with SVG over and instead of consistency
>> with CSS *in a CSS feature described with CSS syntax* seems a
>> little absurd.
>
> I don't think it's absurd at all, based your exact argument; because
> nobody uses CSS in isolation. They use CSS together with HTML, JavaScript,
> SVG...We should thus think of good design for the platform, not just for
> CSS. If SVG defines some basic primitive one way and CSS another then
> those authors who use both - a growing number in these high-DPI days -
> have to learn multiple syntaxes and ways to do things without a clear
> benefit. And it ain't a great way to spend tester and implementer time
> either. To the extent SVG already has a working model to define shapes I
> think your reasoning is exactly what makes it a natural starting point or,
> at least, a valid consideration. It doesn't mean we'll always be able to
> come up with something harmonious. It's also possible the result, while
> coherent and workable, is too unwieldy. But there is reasonable merit in
> *trying* to make the platform consistent when/if we can, not just CSS
> consistent with itself. I do not think we do authors any favor when we
> ignore the rest of the platform.

My point is, CSS has a syntax for positioning rectangles within rectangles
*since Level 1*. Choosing consistency with SVG's way of positioning
rectangles *over and instead of* consistency with CSS's way of positioning
rectangles *in CSS* makes no sense whatsoever.

If CSS didn't have a way of doing this, then sure, borrowing conventions
from SVG would make sense. But we already have conventions for it in CSS.
A language should be consistent with itself first, consistent with other
languages second.

~fantasai