Re: Exposing Fundamental Primitives (was: [css-regions] Named Flows, Elements and Box Generation)

On Tue, Oct 29, 2013 at 2:24 PM, L. David Baron <dbaron@dbaron.org> wrote:

> I disagree with the "is an underlying primitive" statement.  You can
> make it into one by rebuilding other things on top of it, but that
> doesn't mean it currently is one.

If primitive is a sticky term, would you agree though that it is a relevant
and potentially  useful/very reusable "layer"?

> > In general, it seems like things that use those two abilities will
> > become more common over time, rather than less.  We don't want to have
> > to be the gatekeepers that define every new bit of functionality
> > before authors can use it - that just means CSS continues to grow, and
> > do it slowly, forever.  We should be exposing this or something like
> > it, so authors can invent their own abilities and we can clean up
> > afterwards with simpler, more efficient sugar on top of it for common
> > things.
>
> Agreed, but I think the underlying primitives we expose to do that
> should actually be more like primitives -- they shouldn't involve
> things like implicit multi-pass layout (which isn't in the things
> you cite that are built on top of them).
>
> -David

So what would they be if we'd like to be able to specify some "things" for
layout purposes in CSSOM?  Anonoymous block that isn't part of a layout?
 Is that still high or now too low?