Re: Exposing Fundamental Primitives (was: [css-regions] Named Flows, Elements and Box Generation)

On Oct 28, 2013 9:18 PM, "L. David Baron" <dbaron@dbaron.org> wrote:

> On Monday 2013-10-28 17:35 -0700, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
> > On Mon, Oct 28, 2013 at 5:29 PM, L. David Baron <dbaron@dbaron.org>
wrote:

> > > I don't think so -- these other features all describe their layout
> > > model in a way allows implementations to do layout in a specific
> > > order without such a multi-pass model.  And I'm not convinced that
> > > the complex multi-pass model is regions actually allows describing
> > > things like the intrinsic sizing of multicol.
> >
> > This is also fine.  It's okay for the sugar to optimize things better
> > than authors can achieve on their own.
> >
> > Sizing is a whole nother thing to eventually expose.  We're chipping
> > away at this piece by piece; don't think it's worthless just because
> > not everything has been revealed yet.
>
> I don't think "expose" is what regions is doing here.  This isn't a
> pre-existing primitive.  Sure, you can make it a new primitive and
> rebuild other things on top of it -- but that doesn't make it the
> thing they were built on before, nor does it make it the right
> primitive to build them on (which I don't think it is).
>
> -David
>
> --
> š¯„˛   L. David Baron                         http://dbaron.org/   š¯„‚
> š¯„¢   Mozilla                          https://www.mozilla.org/   š¯„‚
>              Before I built a wall I'd ask to know
>              What I was walling in or walling out,
>              And to whom I was like to give offense.
>                - Robert Frost, Mending Wall (1914)

So David, are there other ways to explain existing things at a similar-ish
layer that would satisfy more of what you are looking for... I am still
trying a but to understand your objection, it may help to have a counter
example.