Re: [css-values] text()

On Sat, Oct 26, 2013 at 11:01 AM, Jon Rimmer <jon.rimmer@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'd like to propose a text() function that returns an element's inner-text,
> similarly to how attr() returns the value of an attribute.
>
> The use-case for this is creating pseudo-elements that replicate the text of
> the element for decorative purposes. For example, see the following list of
> link effects:
>
> http://tympanus.net/Development/CreativeLinkEffects/
>
> Most of the effects require the text of the link to be duplicated in a
> data-hover attribute so it can be referenced via content: attr(data-hover).
> This same technique can found in other places [1][2][3] but is hardly an
> ideal practice, given the duplication of content it requires.
>
> [1]
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7175113/content-attribute-to-inherit-node-value
> [2]
> http://blog.adrianroselli.com/2012/10/chromatic-type-with-pseudo-elements.html
> [3] http://www.dynamicdrive.com/style/csslibrary/item/rollover_text_menu/

Note that the text-content wont' be enough for those decorative
effects if there's any stylistic markup inside of it; for example, if
one word in the element is italicized, the pseudo-element's contents
won't be.

If that's an acceptable limitation, then this seems reasonable.  I'm
not sure that it is, though.