Re: [css-animations] Starting animations with animation-play-state: paused

From: Steve Block <steveblock@google.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2013 15:40:34 +1100
To: Sylvain Galineau <galineau@adobe.com>
Cc: Shane Stephens <shans@google.com>, www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
> Indeed, I do not believe we ever clarified this
In that case, I think it would be good to update the spec to clarify this.

> So it's not clear whether animation-play-state: paused
> causes the delay to elapse and then freezes the animation; or if it also
> pauses the delay clock. The latter seems the better behavior for your
> specific scenario.
Agreed. I think that if you create an animation in the paused state,
you would expect that all aspects of the animation remain frozen until
it's unpaused.

There's also the question of whether an animation which is created in
the paused state should immediately fire its start event if the delay
is non-positive. I think it's clear that firing the start event should
be tied to displaying the first value, so if we're to specify that
such an animation should immediately display a value, I think it
should also immediately fire the start event.

Steve