Re: [css-page-3] 'marks' and 'bleed'

On 10/21/13 4:16 PM, "Florian Rivoal" <florian@rivoal.net> wrote:

>On Mon, Oct 21, 2013, at 20:41, Håkon Wium Lie wrote:
>>  > Another issue for us is how far the page marks are from the page box.
>>  > Commercial printers sometimes want this value to be larger than the
>>bleed
>>  > amount. Our major printer wants all marks to be at least 18pt from
>>the
>>  > page box, even though the bleed amount is 9pt. PrinceXML has a
>>  > "prince-trim" property which used to affect this (its behavior has
>>changed
>>  > in current versions).
>>
>> In the interest of avoiding stacks of properties, could we find one
>> descign that works for all/most printers?
>
>I would ask that the crop marks and cross marks be entirely outside of
>the bleed.

I think a minimal set of properties would be:

1. bleed. By the way, I worry that negative values for bleed might cause
difficulties with the resulting PDFs. I don't know anything about PDF
internals, but Acrobat certainly can't set the bleed box to be smaller
than the trim box. Would a negative bleed violate the PDF spec?
2. offset‹distance from the trim box to the inside edge of the crop/cross
marks. This value is generally larger than the bleed amount, so marks
don't print in the bleed area. R.R. Donnelly, who I believe are the
largest commercial printer in the U.S., asks for 18 points of offset. Most
other printers are happy with 12 points. But these kinds of things are
deal-breakers.

In most cases, the marks extend 24pt. Is anyone aware of differing
requirements for this?

One user on the Prince forums asked to be able to add a margin outside the
crop marks, but I'm not aware of a printer that requires this.

>I would also prefer that we remove this requirement: "This property
>(bleed) only has effect if crop marks are enabled.", and get a way of
>showing the bleed without displaying the crop marks.

Agreed.

Thanks,

Dave

This may contain confidential material. If you are not an intended recipient, please notify the sender, delete immediately, and understand that no disclosure or reliance on the information herein is permitted. Hachette Book Group may monitor email to and from our network.