Re: [css-page-3] 'marks' and 'bleed'

On 10/21/13 10:58 AM, "Håkon Wium Lie" <howcome@opera.com> wrote:

>Simon Sapin wrote:
>
> > http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css-page/#page-marks-bleed
>
>Good. Perhaps the text should say explicitly that negative values are
>allowed? Like:
>
>  A positive value makes the background of the page box extend outside
>  the edge of the page on all four sides. Correspondingly, a negative
>  value will result in the background of the page box being pushed in
>  from the edge of the page on all four sides. Setting the bleed does
>  not change the starting position of background images.

I've never heard of a negative bleed. Would this just be an easy way to
have backgrounds that don't extend to the edge of the page?

At least in the U.S., the most common value for bleeds is 9pt; would that
be a better initial value, or do other parts of the world use smaller
values?

Another issue for us is how far the page marks are from the page box.
Commercial printers sometimes want this value to be larger than the bleed
amount. Our major printer wants all marks to be at least 18pt from the
page box, even though the bleed amount is 9pt. PrinceXML has a
"prince-trim" property which used to affect this (its behavior has changed
in current versions).

Dave Cramer
Hachette

This may contain confidential material. If you are not an intended recipient, please notify the sender, delete immediately, and understand that no disclosure or reliance on the information herein is permitted. Hachette Book Group may monitor email to and from our network.