Re: [css3-writing-modes] Re-Summary of Tr in UTR#50 and text-orientation discussions

Koji Ishii wrote:

> >  *** So the net effect with most well-designed fonts is ***
> >  *** that only one or two codepoints are actually       ***
> >  *** affected by this fallback! [1]                     ***
> >
> >Yes, there are fonts that lack vertical alternates for more Tr
> >codepoints [2] but these are fonts that are also missing vertical
> >alternates for Tu codepoints, so no matter what you won't be seeing
> >correct layout in all situations.  When seen in the context of actual
> >fonts, the benefits of this feature seem quite trivial.
> >
> >The "optional" nature of this fallback as currently specified will
> >also lead to confusion for authors.
>
> This is one of my questions not answered yet from my point of view; you
> say "trivial," and also say "lead to confusion." If trivial, it should not
> lead to confusion. What did I miss?

Confusion in the sense that an author uses a given Tr codepoint, reviews
his content in browser A with a given font and doesn't realize until
later that browser B displays it differently due to differences in
fallback behavior.  If an author simply sees the problem in all browsers,
they can use explicit markup to workaround the problem.

John Daggett