Re: h

On 10/10/13 9:52 AM, "Liam R E Quin" <liam@w3.org> wrote:

>A system that can balance pages will generally only vary the height of a
>page to a maximum, and usually in print at east there's a limit of a
>difference in height of 1 line between successive double-page spreads
>(both pages on a spread, that you see at the same time, should always be
>the same height as each other of course).

Yes. There's often also a limit on how many consecutive spreads can be
shorter or longer than normal.

>So you might add 1 line to pages 2 and 3, then add 2 lines to pages 4
>and 5, then add only one line again to pages 6 and 7.

In my experience, it's more common to "run short", to have one fewer line
on both pages of the spread to avoid other issues. If you "run long,"
there's a risk of having too little space between the last line of the
text and any running footer or folio (which are usually in a fixed
position). Most books don't allow both.

>But the end of content is yes a forced page break, and the only
>balancing expected there is that you don't want to have just one or two
>lines at the top of a page, so you might have a balancing algorithm
>(widows and orphans) to try to prevent that.

Most publishers want at least five lines of text on the last page. This is
something I find annoying in paginated ebook readers, where there may be a
single word on the last page of a chapter.

>The page balancing algorithms try to fill pages as evenly as possible,
>not to spread out content so that pages are not full. I see Håkon has
>already replied to mention show-through; this also means you often can't
>vary the line spacing to balance pages, although that depends partly on
>taste and partly on the kind of ink and paper being used.

Varying the line spacing ("carding" or "feathering") is the ultimate sin
in my world, at least when there are spreads.

Dave Cramer
Hachette

This may contain confidential material. If you are not an intended recipient, please notify the sender, delete immediately, and understand that no disclosure or reliance on the information herein is permitted. Hachette Book Group may monitor email to and from our network.