Re: [css-device-adapt] Avoid referring to Desktop

On Wed, Oct 2, 2013 at 3:12 PM, Kenneth Rohde Christiansen
<kenneth.christiansen@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I believe it is better to avoid referring to "desktop" in the CSS
> Device Adaptation spec. I suggest the following change to
> http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css-device-adapt/#desktop-ua-styles-
>
> With the term desktop browser below, we mean a browser which has a
> size of the initial viewport, in CSS pixels, that is at least as large
> as the smallest viewport or viewing area you would expect a user of a
> desktop computer to have. In that sense, it could include tablet PC
> and TV browsers.
>
> 13.1. Desktop UA styles
>
> For a desktop browser, the recommendation is to have no UA styles.
> That means that it will have all descriptors initially set to ‘auto’,
> and behave as it would have without support for viewport descriptors
> if there are no viewport descriptors in the user or author styles.
>
> -> change to:
>
> Traditional user agents, used mostly on desktop and laptop computers,
> can easily be resized to fit most websites inside the initial viewport
> without breaking layout or adding scrollbars. Using the below

I'd remove "or adding scrollbars", since adding scrollbars is common,
at least a vertical one.

> recommendations, sites not adding any @viewport rules themselves will
> continue to look and function like they have always.

"have always" -> "always have"?

> 13.1. Large screen UA styles
>
> For browsers with default viewport size large enough to fit common

"default viewport size" is not defined. "initial viewport size"?

> websites without breaking the layout, or which can easily to resized
> to do so, the recommendation is to have no UA styles. That means that
> it will have all descriptors initially set to ‘auto’, and behave as it
> would have without support for viewport descriptors if there are no
> viewport descriptors in the user or author styles.

That last sentence was really hard to read. I wrote it, I know :-)
I'll try to make it better.

> For browsers which support changing orientation, and the portrait mode
> breaks this the above, it is recommended to set a minimum layout
> width, equal to that of the width in landscape mode.

I don't think this is necessary. Setting min-width in the UA styles,
leaving max-width as auto, will extend the width to the initial
viewport width if it's wider than min-width.

--
Rune Lillesveen