Re: [css-overflow-clipping][css-overflow] First Draft of Overflow Clipping now available!

On 10/3/13 2:49 AM, "Alan Gresley" <alan@css-class.com> wrote:

>On 3/10/2013 5:53 AM, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
>
>> Yesterday, I finished up the first draft of the overflow:clip spec:
>> <http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css-overflow-clipping/>
>>
>> It passed a quick review from Blink implementors, so I'd appreciate
>>more review!
>>
>> ~TJ
>
>How can a new value of clip be used for the property of overflow when
>clip is a property itself [1] (e.g. CSS2.1)?

Because there is no connection between the two? :)

There is no hard requirement for value keywords to exclude existing
property names (or vice-versa), afaik. Though it's quite reasonable to
avoid it to mitigate unnecessary confusion, which one might argue is
possible here. Also, now that property names can be used as a value for
transitions you could end up with the same value being a property or a
keyword depending on where you write it.

Honestly can't think of a good alternate name though. clip seems pretty
decent for this.

This may all be moot as Tab is considering putting this switch in a
different property.