Re: [cssom-view] Behavior of getBoxQuads, convert*FromNode

From: Robert O'Callahan <robert@ocallahan.org>
Date: Wed, 2 Oct 2013 09:45:35 +1300
To: Simon Pieters <simonp@opera.com>
Cc: "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
On Wed, Oct 2, 2013 at 8:28 AM, Simon Pieters <simonp@opera.com> wrote:

> The following section currently just has the IDL; the algorithms for each
> method is not specified yet:
>
> http://dev.w3.org/csswg/cssom-**view/#the-geometryutils-**interface<http://dev.w3.org/csswg/cssom-view/#the-geometryutils-interface>
>
> There are a number of emails discussing what these should do in certain
> edge cases, but I haven't seen a clear description of what they should do
> on a more fundamental level, so I'm not sure how to specify them.

dest.convertPointFromNode(pt, source) converts pt relative to source's
first border-box top-left and converts it to be relative to dest's first
border-box top-left, taking into account scrolling, transforms ---
everything. convertRectFromNode and convertQuadFromNode convert rects and
quads respectively. Optionally you can control the box types used for the
source and destination. For a document, its CSS boxes are all considered to
be the viewport. For a text node, we make up a box like
Range.getClientRects() does.

node.getBoxQuads() obtains all CSS border-boxes for 'node' and returns them
relative to the viewport. Optionally you can choose the type of CSS boxes
to return and return them relative to the top-left of the first CSS box of
another node. Documents and text nodes get made-up boxes as in
convertPointFromNode.

Does that help?

Rob
waanndt  wyeonut  thoo mken.o w  *