[css-values] interpolate() function

From: Lea Verou <lea@verou.me>
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2013 11:44:40 +0800
To: www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
Howdy!

I was wondering if we could rename cross-fade() to interpolate() and enable it for any animatable value type. There are many cases where I've needed to do this manually, especially for colours and angles and I presume it wouldn’t be hard to implement, as browsers have to implement the interpolation logic anyway. Furthermore, this could be useful for debugging transitions & animations, as it would enable authors to easily "step into" an animation, whereas right now debugging animations is a huge pain. Also, interpolating values manually is impossible when using variables, so this would help in that as well.

Thoughts?

I can provide use cases if needed, just wanted to test the waters first and see what y'all think.

~Lea