[css-flexbox][css-grid] What is "white space"?

From: Simon Sapin <simon.sapin@exyr.org>
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2013 16:30:21 +0000
To: "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>

Both specs contain similar text to define flex items and grid items:

> [...] each contiguous run of text that is directly contained inside a
> flex container is wrapped in an anonymous flex item. However, an
> anonymous flex item that contains only white space is not rendered,
> as if it were display:none.

"white space" is a link to the white-space property:

What does this mean? Is any of the character mentioned in that section
considered white space? Or only those collapsed/removed based on the
inherited value of the white-space property?

If it matches the intended meaning, I suggest linking to chapter 4
instead: http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/syndata.html#whitespace

Simon Sapin