Re: [css-figures] how do float:bottom elements stack?

Alan Stearns wrote:

 > Thanks for adding stacking text to the definition of top/bottom floats. I
 > think the text currently in the spec contradicts your intended result,
 > though:
 >
 > ---
 > If other page floats have already taken the bottom position,
 > the float is stacked underneath

Yes. Editing as we speak. Corrected, thanks.

 > When a page float is floated to the top or bottom of a column, it is
 > moved as high as possible in that column.
 > ---
 >
 > Should this say 'as high or as low as possible'?

This text is now deleted.

 > And the following sentence is cut off:
 >
 > ---
 > Other floats may already have occupied the requested position,
 > in which case the floats may be stacked in the
 > ---
 >
 > I expect this sentence was going to answer my next question, which was how
 > top/bottom floats interact with left/right floats. If a top float does not
 > take up the width of the column and would fit next to a left float
 > occupying the highest position in the column, does it stack to the right
 > of the left float, or below?

I'd say it goes above. To honor 'top' it should go on top; one can
still honor 'left' even if the element is not at the top of the
column.

The interaction between all the various values on float is part of
what I'm trying to figure by analyzing the current implementations.
It's certainly possible to combine top/bottom with left/right, but I'm
unsure if we should prescribe this behaviour.

-h&kon