Re: Media Query Variables

On Wed, Nov 13, 2013 at 4:11 PM, Bruno Racineux <bruno@hexanet.net> wrote:
> Do you guys have a consensus on the best way to implement this?
> From what I read, the meta approach is out, right?
>
> MQ vars would also be very relevant to the RespImg discussion.
>
> What about a simple way like this:

>  @media { small: (max-width: 20em); large: (min-width: 40em); }
> <link rel="stylesheet" media="screen and (small)" />
> <link rel="stylesheet" media="print and (large)" />
>

> It centralizes and tokenizes MQs in the <head> to mix and match them later.
>

> The @media keywords become custom vars like 'monochrome' or 'color'.

My current thought is something like:

@custom-media "small" (max-width: 20em);
@custom-media "large" (min-width: 40em);
<link rel=stylesheet media="('small')" >
<link rel=stylesheet media="('small')" >

Note the use of quotes - using strings as the name avoids any possible
collision with future MQs we define.

Another possibility would be to use a reserved prefix, like Custom
Properties use.  It seems a little weird to use "var-", but honestly
it might be easiest to learn like that.