Re: [mediaqueries] Intentional that "not" is only usable in front of a media type?

From: Rune Lillesveen <rune@opera.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2013 10:23:59 +0100
To: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Cc: www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
On Tue, Nov 12, 2013 at 9:40 AM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:
> According to the grammar in Media Queries, the "not" keyword is only
> allowed in front of a media type.  You can't put it in front of a set
> of media features, like "not (color)".
>
> However, as far as I can tell, using a "not" negates the entire query,
> not just the type.  That is, "not screen and (color)" means "not a
> color screen", rather than "not a screen, but has color".
>
> Am I right in interpreting this?  If not, I need to revise the spec to
> make this more clear.

You are right.

> If I am, does anyone have any clue why this grammar restriction
> exists?  It seems more reasonable to let it apply to media features
> without a media type as well.

+1

Should be possible to say "only (color)" too, even though that would
not be necessary for the intention** of introducing "only".

** It seems "only" was introduced to make things like "screen and
(monochrome)", which would match "screen" for HTML4 media attribute
parsing, not match by writing "only screen and (monochrome)" instead.

--
Rune Lillesveen