Re: [css-text] 'hanging-punctuation' comments

On 11/12/13 9:07 AM, "Kang-Hao (Kenny) Lu" <kanghaol@opera.com> wrote:

>  # Œfirstı
>  #
>  # An opening bracket or quote at the start of the first formatted
>  # line of an element hangs. This applies to all characters in the
>  # Unicode categories Ps, Pf, Pi.
>
>Again, per my comment on 'text-indent', I think "first formatted line"
>was a mistake. We should go with "first line and a line after a forced
>break", like "text-align-last" and "text-align: start end". I can check
>with Web developers later.

'first' should take soft-wrap into account, not only forced break, so I
think the current description is correct.

>  # Depending on the line's alignment, this may (or may not) result in
>  # the mark being placed outside the line box.
>
>  #Œforce-endı
>  #
>  # A stop or comma at the end of a line hangs.
>  #
>  #Œallow-endı
>  #
>  # A stop or comma at the end of a line hangs if it does not otherwise
>  # fit prior to justification.
>
>The description above seems to indicate that for 'hanging-punctuation:
>force-end', "a stop or comma at the end of a line" doesn't need be
>placed outside the line box, even in 'text-align: end'. I don't think
>this is what 'force-end' tries to do.

"hangs" in this context is a term defined in this spec; click it to jump
to the definition. If you understand the term definition, with the figure
in example 19, I think you agree that the description is what 'force-end'
tries to do.

>Also, the current spec seems to ask 'force-end' to place the "stop or
>comma" at the "last formatted line" outside the line box unconditionally
>(is that true? I don't quite know because of the above issue), and that
>doesn't seem like a good idea.

Same as above. "hangs" means to align and justify without measuring the
punctuation. The last formatted line will left-justified unless
text-justify is distributed, so, no, the current spec does not ask to
place the punctuation outside the line box unconditionally.

/koji