Re: [css-flexbox] performance concern over align-items: 'stretch' as default value

On 11/10/13 10:00 AM, "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:

>For example, in the case you bring up, where you're using table-cell
>as a fallback, 'stretch' matches the 'table-cell' behavior.

Well, fair point if your layout consist of visually individual boxes, yes.
Perhaps a bit less valid for the 'inline-flex' case. I have yet to try a
reliable fallback for that...

>It may be
>that in your particular case that matching isn't important, but for
>many people it will be.  We're optimizing the default case for
>usability, not performance, here.

Right. Although the multiline 'align-content: stretch' default in the
'cross-axis' is going to be a much more rare (or rather less frequent) use
case in practice than 'align-content: flex-start'.

While I understand your point, the default case for stretching it all, is
unfortunately on the most performance heavy side, while not always
discernible as such, even when unnecessary.

>Finally, Flexbox has been shipping with its current defaults for too
>long to change anymore, even if we wanted to. Oh well.

Maybe it's worth having a note that says:
"If the children items' height is contained with a 'manually set' height
across all items. The browser performance of flex will be best served with
'align-items' or 'align-content' (in multiline context) as 'flex-start'".

Or something along those lines just to put that in records somewhere.