Re: [selectors4] Proposal for extending Selectors Level 4 with possibility to select attributes

On Fri, 08 Nov 2013 15:54:55 +0100, Jirka Kosek <jirka@kosek.cz> wrote:

> On 8.11.2013 21:49, Simon Pieters wrote:
>> So the stated use case for selecting attributes with the Selectors API
>> is an ITS implementation in JS that uses Selectors API, and you want to
>> select alt/title/data-* etc attributes with Selectors instead of XPath.
>> Is that correct?
>
> Yes, exactly.
>
>> Are there ITS implementations in JS intended to be used in a browser?
>
> Yes, I have seen several of them. Some of them are already open-sourced.
> For example there is Drupal module (https://drupal.org/project/its)
> which uses custom jQuery plugin to easily access all ITS metadata
> directly within browser (http://plugins.jquery.com/its-parser/). However
> because Selectors are not yet capable of accessing attributes this
> jQuery ITS plugin currently supports only ITS rules based on XPath via
> document.evaluate().

Thanks. This demonstrates the need that I was looking for.

>>> I think it has been clearly demonstrated that there is a need and
>>> use-cases for Selectors to support selection of attribute nodes in a
>>> document. I'm happy to discuss about concrete syntax for this feature
>>> or
>>> technical problems that implementation might cause. But simply stating
>>> that you personally don't see problem when others have it is not a
>>> productive way forward.
>>
>> I think it is useful to get a common understanding of the problems we're
>> trying to solve.
>
> Indeed, sorry if I was too terse. But from your previous emails I got
> impression that you understand to ITS use-case but you don't consider it
> strong enough to extend Selectors.

Yes, that's right. I still do, but my opinion isn't so relevant. My goal
here was to bring forward information on the use cases and data on people
needing this extension, so that the group can evaluate the proposal
properly and not just bikeshed the syntax. :-)

--
Simon Pieters
Opera Software