Re: [selectors4] Proposal for extending Selectors Level 4 with possibility to select attributes

On 07/11/13 13:35, Simon Pieters wrote:

> Nobody suggested it would be a solution. What was under discussion was
> trying to demonstrate that there is a problem that needs a solution in
> the first place. For the Selectors API, I think it hasn't been
> demonstrated yet.

You should have attended the META conference in september... People
dealing with ITS sell tools and filters that process automatic
translations and they heavily rely on querySelector() and friends for
Selectors and evaluate() for XPath. But again, the former does not
offer the feature level of the latter hence the issue, which is a
blocking issue to drop XPath and switch to Selectors, and global ITS
rules in a CSS-alike syntax.

What was under discussion was NOT trying to demonstrate that there is a
problem that needs a solution in the first place. The industry dealing
with ITS has already identified that blocking issue; what's at stake
here is trying to convince _you_ that a non strictly Web industry
depending on Selectors is also a user of our technologies that deserves
a standard solution instead of a slow toolkit.

</Daniel>