Re: [css-regions] Floats and auto-sized regions

On Wed, Nov 6, 2013 at 9:06 AM, Mihai Balan <mibalan@adobe.com> wrote:
> Hello everybody,
> I'd like to know your position on the following scenario: suppose we have
> some content that gets flowed in an auto-sized region, and said content also
> has a floated box in it, that's taller than the non-float content. Should
> the size of the region be the size of the non-float *and* float content
> (taller) or just the size of the non-float content (shorter)?
>
> A corollary to this scenario is what should the size for an auto-size region
> when the only thing flowed in it would be a float?
>
> My personal take is that the float itself should not contribute to the
> sizing of the regions other than through the eventual shortening of line
> boxes of the surrounding contents and/or clearing. (The answer to the
> corollary being that the region should have 0 height).

This tends to be a pretty undesirable behavior for people.  They want
their elements that are semantically "containers" to contain floats,
and do a bunch of hacks to make it happen.  I'd be much more in favor
of having the region container act like a BFC in this case.