Re: [selectors4] Proposal for extending Selectors Level 4 with possibility to select attributes

On Tue, Nov 5, 2013 at 9:12 AM, Simon Sapin <simon.sapin@exyr.org> wrote:
> Le 05/11/2013 16:42, Tab Atkins Jr. a écrit :
>> Remember that that restriction isn't actually part of the syntax any
>> longer (or rather, we agreed to remove it from the syntax).  It's just
>> that several pseudo-elements don't have any children or siblings, so
>> by definition anything following them will cause the match to fail.
>
> That’s not what I read in the spec:
> http://dev.w3.org/csswg/selectors4/#pseudo-elements
>
> "Must", as I understand it, means that selectors that do otherwise are
> invalid rather than merely not matching anything. (BTW I found this hard to
> follow.)
>
> The change from Level 3 is that pseudo-elements may be followed by "user
> action pseudo-classes".

Yeah, the spec hasn't been updated yet, but we agreed that
pseudo-elements *can* be followed by arbitrary other selectors.  This
is only relevant for pseudo-elements that can contain content, like
::region or ::content (from Shadow DOM).