Re: CSS styling for devanagri scripts

From: Andrew Cunningham <lang.support@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 29 May 2013 20:01:49 +1000
To: Mayank Jha <mayank25080562@gmail.com>
Cc: www-style@w3.org
SIL relesed a Devanagri font called
Annapurna SIL which has a range of OpenType features. It is designed to
support  range of languages not just Hindi i.e Nepali and Newari.

It has a range of opentype features accessible via stylistic sets or via
graphite features. Details ard available at
http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/page.php?site_id=nrsi&id=annapurnasil

An obvious use for opentype features would be a font supporting both Hindi
and Sanskrit and with extensive ligature support.

Andrew

On 29/05/2013 5:07 PM, "Mayank Jha" <mayank25080562@gmail.com> wrote:

> I was just curious about the language specific features for the open-type
fonts, while reading the W3C-CSS convention Section 3. What I could not get
is how can we really alter and control them? For example if I take the
devanagri script then are there styling properties which are specific only
to Devanagri script? If yes, then could someone please brief me about it ?
Also the rendering of the font-features might be following some particular
method, which could be translated as modification of glyphs using
font-developing applications ? If yes can someone please tell me, what are
the methods used for rendering so that I can replicate it some where ?