Re: [css-compositing] new Editor's draft posted -> update

On Thu, May 23, 2013 at 5:06 PM, David Dailey <ddailey@zoominternet.net>wrote:

> So let me see if I understand:****
>
> ** **
>
> **a)      **Is compositing for CSS seen as a replacement or even a
> substitute for filters….

no, it's simply a shorthand that makes them easier to use than filters.
(just like the CSS filter shorthands which are already quite successful.)

> ****
>
> **b)      **Will work on SVG filters be abandoned allowing “compliant
> browsers” to (as per the long term wishes of some of them) duck
> implementation of the hard stuff?

no, if anything, this will make SVG filters better.

> ****
>
> **c)       **Will there be a CSS module separate from compositing to
> handle the broad spectrum of SVG filters? i.e, is CSS-filters forking into
> two parts: compositing and the other stuff?

that is the CSS filters spec. See
https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/FXTF/raw-file/tip/filters/index.html

> ****
>
> **d)      **By virtue of being composited in order and not as a tree,
> css-compositing is intrinsically weaker than SVG filters.  On the other
> hand, I gather that there is functionality being offered in css-compositing
> that is either not present in SVG’s feComposite or because of collusion
> between certain browsers never going to be implemented by them. If so will
> that additional functionality be added into SVG (in a real DOM approachable
> sense and not involving  goofy CSS sleight of hand)??

The HTML drawing model is fundamentally different from SVG. See
http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/zindex.html
We have every intention to bring CSS blending to SVG as well; it just
requires different terminology (ie there are no stacking contexts but noone
has implemented non-isolated groups in SVG which is needed for the old spec
to work.)

> ****
>
> I’m trying to see if I need to pay closer attention to these issues or if
> it only matters to the HTML/CSS crowd. Periodically it seems browsers
> conspire to cripple SVG, be it through proposing <canvas> or through not
> implementing SMIL or SVG-fonts or enable-background  or by moving half-cool
> stuff to CSS, and I suppose I should pay enough attention to know when to
> start reading up on the laws that govern fair competition!  jiji. Chiste!
> Or maybe I’ll have to release new chapters of the books I’ve written and
> redo 1400 pages of examples done for class.  But in the words of one
> implementer “there is no content out there that matters – we’ve already
> looked!”

We certainly don't want to cripple SVG...