Re: [css3-regions] flow-into: <ident> content-only

On 5/22/13 12:39 PM, "Bert Bos" <bert@w3.org> wrote:

>On Thursday 09 May 2013 03:18:48 Rossen Atanassov wrote:
>> According to the minutes [1] from 4/24/13 there was a request to me
>> to provide a use case for the flow-into: <indet> content-only;
>> proposal. Here it is.
>>

>> The ability for authors to separate content from views when
>> populating templates.  For example, a news aggregator has a set of
>> predefined views she uses to display content that is coming from an
>> external source.  These views are defined by one author and the
>> content is defined by another author. The views can be composed from
>> various fragment containers.  The containers can be predefined or
>> dynamically created (programmatically or declaratively) based on the
>> content overflow.  The ability to flow the content of a container,
>> removes the requirement of having to make all of its individual
>> content pieces to become part of a flow chain.  For example, an
>> article with the header, sub-headers, and paragraphs doesn't have to
>> carry the container with it when it is placed into the view.  The
>> advantage of this model is that news aggregators can define name
>> flows to flow content from an external source to view on their site.
>> This is more manageable than forcing developers to directly insert
>> those elements into the view or directly use iframes to display all
>> content on one view.
>
>So, if I understand correctly, 'content-only' resets the 'display'
>property. In other words,
>
>    flow-into: region1 content-only
>
>is equivalent to
>
>    flow-into: region1; display: inline

No, it's much more like (but not equivalent to) this:

  flow-into: flow-name; display-box: contents;

(as Tab noted previously [1]) except that the element's primary box
remains in place.

Thanks,

Alan

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2013Apr/0185.html