Re: [css3-flexbox] spec contradicts itself about display: table-row; flex items

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Tue, 21 May 2013 22:17:14 -0400
To: www-style@w3.org
On 5/21/13 9:45 PM, Christian Biesinger wrote:
> "Some values of ‘display’ trigger the generation of anonymous boxes.
> For example, a misparented ‘table-cell’ child is fixed up by
> generating anonymous ‘table’ and ‘table-row’ elements around it.
> [CSS21] This fixup must occur before a flex container's children are
> promoted to flex items."

This seems quite clear, for what it's worth.

First you do the fixup for table stuff, then you figure out what your
flex items are, then you update the computed display values of flex items...

The biggest problem here is that this makes computed display depend on
the box tree in some sense, but you can actually statically determine at
computed style time what the box tree will be for purposes of this stuff.

I do agree it might be even clearer to say that no computed display
coercion happens on internal table display types, though.

-Boris