Re: [specprod] Using "Applies to" in descriptors to identify the at-rule

On 05/21/2013 10:51 AM, John Daggett wrote:
> Tab Atkins wrote:
>
>> Just a thought - since the "Applies to" line that we use in propdefs
>> (to define what kind of elements the property has an effect on) is
>> meaningless for descriptors, perhaps we can re-use it as a field to
>> define the at-rules that the descriptor applies to.
>>
>> For example, the 'font-style' descriptor in @font-face would look like:
>>
>> Name: font-style
>> Value: normal | italic | oblique
>> Initial: normal
>> Applies to: @font-face
>> Inherited: N/A
>> Percentages:N/A
>> Media: visual
>> Computed value: as specified
>> Animatable: no
>>
>> Make sense to anyone else?
>
> Nope.  Descriptors are not properties, there's a whole set stuff in
> propdefs that don't make sense for descriptors.  Here's the
> 'font-style' descriptor definition in CSS3 Fonts:
>
>    Name:  font-style
>    Value:  normal | italic | oblique
>    Initial:  normal
>
> Why would the definition of a *descriptor* need an "Applies to" line
> when it's defined as part of the definition of the @font-face rule?

Well, we have similar things in, for example, @counter-style. And
probably will have similar things in other at-rules. So I think
it does make sense to, in the descdef table, write down the at-rule
to which the descriptor belongs.

~fantasai