Re: [css3-fonts] Minor Comments IV

Le Lun 20 mai 2013 6:22, John Daggett a écrit :

> fantasai wrote:
>
> Revised based on comments except where noted below.
>
>> http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css-fonts/#font-resources
>>
>>    # 4. Font Resources
>>
>> The title of this section seems overly-generic; there are other
>> font resources that get used besides ones defined via @font-face,
>> i.e. the local ones on the system. Maybe come up with something
>> more specific to what the section is about?
>
> The logical title would be "downloadable font resources" but since
> local() is involved, font resources seemed appropriate.  Just call it
> "downloadable font resources"?
>
>>    # The @font-face rule allows for linking to fonts that are
>>    # automatically activated when needed.
>>
>> Suggest s/activated/retrieved/ since that's really the goal.
>> Local system fonts are also activated when needed, from my
>> perspective.
>
> Added fetched and activated.  Activation is the process of
> instantiating a platform font object from the data, it doesn't apply
> to local fonts.  But I the precise meaning isn't really important...
>
>>    # User agents that apply platform font aliasing rules to
>>    # font family names defined via @font-face rules are
>>    # considered non-conformant.
>>
>> I have no idea what "platform font aliasing rules" means.

Isn't there a setting in operating systems where an user can disable or
enable (and even customize: eg
http://docs.kde.org/development/en/kde-workspace/kcontrol/fonts/index.html#fonts-aa
) font aliasing ? I would think this is what platform font aliasing rules
would mean.

>> If font people are sure to know what it means, then cool.
>> If not, maybe give an example or something.
>
> Both Windows and Linux have system-defined ways of substituting
> familyB whenever familyA is requested.  That's why specifying
> "Helvetica" on Windows displays Arial, there's a default substitution
> rule for this.

FYI,

Just to document this pre-defined font substitution of Windows font names
under Linux [U|Ku|Xu|Lu]buntu 13.04:

http://www.gtalbot.org/BrowserBugsSection/MozillaBugs/font-face-matching-linux-ubuntu.html
(draft)

In a terminal (fc-match is a command that would indicate the
predetermination of font under Linux [U|Ku|Xu|Lu]buntu for its argument):

~$ fc-match Helvetica
n019003l.pfb: "Nimbus Sans L" "Regular"

~$ fc-match Arial
LiberationSans-Regular.ttf: "Liberation Sans" "Regular"

~$ fc-match "Times New Roman"
LiberationSerif-Regular.ttf: "Liberation Serif" "Regular"

So, with fc-match command, the outcome of any font name can be
predetermined, predicted.

Gérard

--
CSS 2.1 Test suite RC6, March 23rd 2011