RE: [css-variables] are variables animatable?

The reason custom properties are not animated is that it would result in strange results:

    #element { var-x: 0px; top: get(var-x); transition: var-x 1s, top 1s; }
    #element:hover { var-x: 10px; }

If var-x was animated, top changes of value constantly so the actual transition duration on top would be 2s, right? <do not forget variable references are resolved before computed time>

Also, you don't know the type of the value so it would only work for values of the same unit.